Monday, October 8, 2012

Roasted Goodness

I am by no definition a good cook and this is not a recipe blog but I wanted to share this sensory experience with you.  Healthy eating has proven to be quite the struggle for me so I am thrilled when there is something I like that is also good for me - a win/win situation. 
 
My husband and I went to the farmers' market on Saturday and came home with this beautiful array of treasures (the bananas we got at the grocery store):
 

We (actually, he) cut the beets, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, peppers and onions up into bite sized pieces, mixed them up with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and then roasted them in the oven at 425 degrees for about 40 minutes.  There are other variations of this, some with more ingredients including fresh herbs, found on the internet but this method worked very well.  The smell while it was cooking was heavenly and permiated the house beyond our kitchen.



The result, seen above, was so tastey and colorful.  It was a meal all by itself and we ate it outside in the cool fall air as the sun went down.  I couldn't help but think of the way these vegetables grew all summer, soaking up the sun and afternoon rain showers. 

This seasonal treat is so good for you, both nutritionally and psychologically, so I am encouraging you to make up a batch yourself this autumn.  Let me know how yours turns out and if you have any other tips for making it since I plan to have it again very soon!

1 comment:

Please let me know what you think. Your voice and story are important to this space.